If you are missing teeth, you may feel embarrassed every time you smile. You may notice you slur certain words, and you may experience discomfort when you eat. Often included in a smile makeover, dental implants are an effective, long-term way to replace one or more missing teeth.
For information about implant dentistry, please call Dr. John Schmid at 512-329-5967 today for a free tooth replacement consultation. Contemporary Cosmetic Dentistry serves Round Rock, West Lake Hills, Bee Cave and other communities near Austin.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are titanium posts placed beneath your gums to replace a missing tooth. Implants resemble a screw.
The implant is placed in the boney ridge beneath your gums, in the space of the missing tooth. A dental crown or dental bridge is placed on top of the dental implant to replace the visible portion of the missing tooth.
Advantages of Dental Implants
Dental implants are often the most effective way to replace a missing tooth. These devices have many advantages, including:
- Last many years in most cases. Sometimes dental implants last a lifetime.
- Provide a secure foundation for speaking and eating. Dental implants are stabilized in your jaw and do not move around.
- Do not detract from your smile. Dental implants blend seamlessly into the appearance of your other teeth.
- Provide optimal function. Dental implants act and feel like your natural teeth.
- Encourage health and density of the boney ridge beneath your gums. Ordinarily, this bone deteriorates when a tooth root is absent.
Dental implants also offer the convenience of being highly similar to your natural teeth. They should feel comfortable in your mouth. They are not removable, so you simply perform the same teeth cleaning as you do for your natural teeth by brushing, flossing and visiting the dentist.
Choosing an Implant Dentist
Dental implants are not always the right choice for every person. At Contemporary Cosmetic Dentistry in Austin, we want to find the most effective and beneficial tooth replacement option for your unique expectations and dental needs.
Dental implants are generally a good option if you:
- Are missing one or several teeth.
- Want a long-term, non-removable way to replace teeth.
- Have sufficient boney tissue beneath your gums to support the dental implant.
- Are prepared to quit smoking, at least temporarily, if you are a smoker. Quitting is critical to a successful dental implant procedure.
During a consultation with implant dentist Dr. John Schmid, you can discuss your goals, expectations, questions about dental implants and other factors influencing your choice of tooth replacement. To learn more, please call Contemporary Cosmetic Dentistry in Austin at 512-329-5967 today. We are pleased to serve patients in Round Rock and other nearby areas.