When making an investment in your smile, it’s natural to wonder how long the results of your treatment will last. Porcelain veneers are one of the best investments you can make because they can last for such a long time. Whether they last forever, a few decades, or a few years depends on how well you take care of them (and how lucky you are, as an accident can cause damage to veneers).
Austin cosmetic dentist Dr. John Schmid offers a 5-year guarantee on his porcelain veneers. If they are damaged or fall off within 5 years for reasons beyond your control, he will replace them for free. Call 512-329-5967 to schedule your free porcelain veneers consultation today.
Reasons Your Porcelain Veneers May Not Last
Most patients find that their porcelain veneers last a very long time. However, in some cases, your porcelain veneers may become damaged or fall off. The most common reasons that porcelain veneers don’t last include:
- Poor dental hygiene: If you develop decay underneath your porcelain veneers, your natural teeth will become weakened and your veneers can’t grip properly anymore. This can cause veneers to loosen and fall off.
- Destructive oral habits: If you chew on pens, ice, or other hard surfaces, you can damage or loosen your veneers. This can also happen if you regularly use your teeth to open packages or eat too much sticky food.
- Accidents: Any trauma to the mouth can cause damage to porcelain veneers, same as regular teeth. If you have porcelain veneers, we recommend using a mouth guard when playing contact sports. We know that some accidents can’t be avoided, though, so please reach out to Dr. Schmid if your veneers were damaged because of a car accident or other traumatic incident outside of your control.
- Teeth grinding: Consistent teeth grinding can wear down and damage natural teeth and porcelain veneers over time. If you grind your teeth, you will need to wear a night guard in order to protect your veneers.
As long as you are careful and follow good oral hygiene habits, your porcelain veneers should last for decades or even longer.
How to Care for Porcelain Veneers
Porcelain veneers do not require special care. They can be treated just the same as regular teeth. That being said, they can also become damaged and fall out just like regular teeth if you do not treat them right. At the very minimum, you should be committed to a good dental hygiene routine that includes:
- Brushing and flossing every day
- Rinsing with water after meals and dark liquids such as coffee or wine
- Visiting Dr. Schmid every 4 to 6 months for a checkup and deep cleaning
- Not eating too many overly sugary, sticky, or crunchy foods
Follow these steps, and you’re on your way to a lifetime of a beautiful, healthy smile.
Schedule Your Porcelain Veneers Consultation
If you want to learn more about porcelain veneers, or if you are ready to take the first step towards the smile of your dreams, call Dr. Schmid today at 512-329-5967 to schedule your complimentary consultation. We serve patients in Bee Cave, Lakeway, and other nearby areas of Austin, Texas.