Porcelain veneers typically last between 7 and 15 years. You can extend their lifespan with good oral hygiene and regular dental visits. However, these restorations are not permanent, and you should expect to replace your porcelain veneers for one of the following reasons:
- Your veneers are chipped or damaged. Porcelain is a durable material, but it isn’t bulletproof. That means it’s possible to chip or crack your veneers, especially if you chew on ice, grind your teeth, or experience a traumatic dental injury. Veneers can also wear down over time.
- The tooth under your veneer isn’t healthy. The long-term success of your restorations hinges on the health of your natural teeth. When issues such as cavities or decay develop, they threaten the foundation of your dental work. Treating these issues may involve removing and replacing the overlying veneers.
- Your veneers aren’t as bright as they once were. Porcelain veneers are far more stain-resistant than their resin and composite counterparts. However, they can still lose their radiance over time and cannot be whitened with products or treatments.
- There is a gap between your veneers and your gums. Poor dental hygiene and gum disease can cause your gum line to recede away from your veneers. You can tell that something is wrong if the edge of your restorations is visible.
- Your veneers feel uncomfortably large for your mouth. Not all dentists have the skill and experience to apply porcelain veneers properly. If your dentist placed your veneers without taking steps to ensure a perfect fit, they might feel odd or bulky.
- One of your veneers became loose or fell off. There are several reasons why these things can happen, including issues with the bonding adhesive, tooth decay, and bad habits such as chewing on ice or eating super-sticky foods.
Contact Contemporary Cosmetic Dentistry in Austin
Dr. John Schmid has been placing and replacing veneers for over 20 years. He has the skill needed to restore your smile no matter what issues you may be experiencing. And thanks to our porcelain veneer promise, you can rest easy knowing that your new restorations are protected.
Call 512-329-5967 to schedule a consultation with our cosmetic dentist. Contemporary Cosmetic Dentistry serves patients from Austin, Bee Cave, Lakeway, and nearby areas of Texas.